There are many shampoos and conditioners on the market to choose from, but how do you know when yours isn’t working for you? Today we are sharing 7 reasons to ditch your shampoo and conditioner to help you assess if you need to change things up.
In the past, we have featured 5 reasons to ditch your mascara, 4 signs you are sensitive to your eye cream, 8 reasons to ditch your eyeshadow, 5 reasons to ditch your lipstick, 5 reasons to ditch your foundation, and even 5 tips to assessing new beauty products. It’s important to assess the products you use, so you don’t continue to waste money on products that are not making you look, or feel your best.
My current favourite shampoo and conditioner is Nick Chavez Beverly Hills Advanced Volume Shampoo and Conditioner. I’ve been a big fan of Nick Chavez’s products for a long time, and I switch between this one and the Plumper N Thicker Ultra Thickening Shampoo and Conditioner, regularly.
7 Reasons To Ditch Your Shampoo And Conditioner
- You have dyed your hair for the very first time: Virgin hair and colour-treated hair have different needs. To help protect your new colour and maintain the health of your hair, you want to switch to a shampoo and conditioner that is formulated specifically for colour-treated hair.
- You have changed your hair colour: Not all shampoo for colour-treated hair is the same. So, if you have changed your hair colour from, let’s say brown to blonde, the needs of your hair have changed. To help protect the blonde, you’ll want to use a purple shampoo, as it will help keep your colour fresh looking, and not go brassy/orange. This blonde tip works for non-traditional colours (blue, purple, green etc). If you have red hair, you want a shampoo formulated for preserving red hair, like Redken Color Extend Shampoo.
- Your hair looks heavy: Your conditioner is leaving your hair feeling/looking weighed down, lifeless, and greasy even after rinsing. This can be especially true for fine hair, which gets weighed down easily. Also, void creamy shampoos for fine hair.
- You have changed how you style your hair: Decided to embrace your natural curls or wave pattern? Want to get rid of your natural texture for a straight look? Shampoo and conditioner that help you achieve the style you want, might be a good investment. This would mean rotating out whatever products you were using, until you want to revisit that style, once again.
- You have an allergic reaction: Yes, you can be allergic to your shampoo and/or conditioner, this could result in an itchy or irritated scalp. If you notice any discomfort or irritation after using a new product, discontinue its use ASAP.
- The seasons have changed: During different times of the year, your hair needs change, just like your skincare needs. In the warmer months, you’ll want to opt for a more clarifying shampoo to help get rid of environmental buildup. In the colder months, when hair/scalp tends to get dry, you want products that impart more moisture.
- Your hair is frizzy, dry, and/or brittle: These are signs your shampoo is too harsh for your hair. The solution is to find a product that is more gentle and adds moisture.
These 7 reasons to ditch your shampoo and conditioner should help your hair look its best, at any time of the year.
Are there any other reasons to switch up your products that we should add to our 7 reasons to ditch your shampoo and conditioner? What are some of your favourite shampoo and conditioners? Leave us a comment below and let us know, as we love hearing from our Older Slightly Wiser community. It is by sharing information that we are able to learn and grow.
“Life is short. You might as well live it with really great hair.” – Anonymous