Need a new weeknight dinner idea? Want something that’s relatively fast and easy? How about something that can also become a delicious lunch, paired with a salad? Then you should try our gluten-free bacon wrapped mini meatloaves recipe.
This gluten-free bacon wrapped mini meatloaves recipe is a fast, easy, and totally Instagram worthy meal. This is a simple dish that will wow a mid-week family dinner or be sumptuous enough to impress company. Plus, they cook a lot faster than a traditional sized meatloaf.
Gluten-Free Bacon Wrapped Mini Meatloaves Recipe
- 2.5 lbs lean minced beef or Turkey
- 2 shallots minced
- 1/2 tsp salt, pepper, granulated onion, granulated garlic
- 1 tbs oil- I like to use PurOlivia a canola and olive oil blend. But any cooking oil will do
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp salt, black pepper, granulated garlic, and granulated onion
- 2 tbs ketchup
- 3/4 c of gluten-free breadcrumbs.
- 1 1/4 cups white or yellow cheddar cheese
- 14 pieces of raw bacon (Regular or Low Sodium Bacon)
- Mince shallots.
- Heat oil in a pan.
- Once the pan is hot, sauté shallots until translucent and slightly golden.
Tip: You can add in frozen spinach to the shallots at this point, which gets another vegetable in your meatloaf.
- Season shallots with 1/2 tsp of salt, pepper, granulated onion, and granulated garlic.
- Set shallots aside and let cool. You could make the shallots ahead and keep them in the fridge.
- In a large bowl mix 2.5 lbs lean ground beef or Turkey, 2 eggs, salt, black pepper, granulated garlic, granulated onion, ketchup, cooled shallots, and gluten-free breadcrumbs.
- Using your hands, mix the meat mixture until it is evenly combined. Try not to over mix the meat, as it will become tough.
Tip: Fry a small amount of meat in a frying pan, so you can taste the meatloaf mixture. This allows you to adjust the seasoning to your liking on the cooked meatloaf so you can get it just right. Keep in mind we are adding cheese and bacon so you don’t want the meat to be overly salted.
- I like to divide the meat into 14 equal balls first, so I’m assured that they are roughly all the same size.
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Line a baking sheet with sides with a layer of foil then a piece of parchment paper. This will stop your meatloaves from sticking and make clean up much easier.
- One ball at a time, flatten the meat into a patty about 1/4 inch thick.
- In the center of the patty put about 2 tbs (or a generous pinch) of grated cheese in a line.
- Then gently fold the sides of the meat to the middle covering the cheese.
- Next seal the two ends.
- Gently form the rectangle into more of a loaf or oblong shape. You want the mini loaf to be tight and well sealed, so the cheese doesn’t ooze out while baking.
- Lay a piece of bacon on a cutting board or clean work surface. One end of the bacon should be in the middle of the bottom of your mini meatloaf. Take the other end of the bacon and stretch it over top of your loaf and then pull it under to overlap the other end of the bacon.
- Place the bacon wrapped meatloaf on the parchment and foil lined baking sheet.
- Repeat for the remaining 13 balls of meat mixture.
- Place pan in oven for 45 minutes.
- Once they have cooked, the bacon on top won’t be crisp.
- Remove pan from oven.
- Preheat broiler.
- Put pan back in the oven to broil loaves for 2-3 minutes. You want to keep an eye on them, as the goal is too get the bacon done to your preferred crispness, while not burning them
If you have leftovers, they reheat very well and can be sliced and made into sandwiches. You can add cheese for a kicked up grilled cheese sandwich. They also make a tremendous lunch, sliced thinly over a crisp salad.
So try something new tonight by making our gluten-free bacon wrapped mini meatloaves recipe. If you love gluten-free meatloaf, you may also enjoy our gluten-free stuffed meatloaf with mushroom, spinach, and cheddar cheese.
Have you tried our take on mini meatloaves? Do you have a meatloaf recipe you’d like us to try?
Drop us a comment below and let us know.