I love trying new recipes or creating new recipes with my mom. So, in honour of National
Pizza Day this week, we decided to try to make a gluten-free spinach stuffed pepperoni pizza recipe.
Now since I’m gluten-free, we have perfected homemade gluten-free pizza dough along with some great tips. If gluten-free is not your thing, you can use any dough you prefer – like whole wheat, regular, store bought or your own homemade – when making this recipe. I made half a batch of dough for this pizza recipe. So, I think you would use about half to three quarters of whichever dough you prefer.
Gluten Free Spinach Stuffed Pepperoni Pizza Recipe
For The Spinach:
- 1 lb spinach
- 2 Tbs olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, diced
- 1 shallot, diced
- Package of gluten-free (or regular) pepperoni slices (use as needed)
- 1 tsp basil oil or chopped basil leaves
For The Pizza:
- 1/2 batch gluten-free, regular or whole wheat pizza dough
- 1c grated mozzarella cheese
- 1/4c grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2c grated Provolone cheese
- 9 inch spring form pan
- Vegetable oil for greasing.
- 1/2 c roasted cherry tomatoes or passata
- 2 pieces of foil
For The Spinach:
- Chop spinach into bite size pieces. Wash and dry in a strainer.
- In a pot, over medium heat warm oil and add spinach, garlic and shallot. Keep stirring until spinach is completely wilted.
- Using a strainer, drain out any excess liquid and return to the pot.
- Add in 1 tsp of basil paste or freshly chopped basil.
- Season with salt, pepper, granulated onion, granulated garlic, to taste.
- Turn off pot and let cool.
For The Pizza:
- Grate your cheeses into a container and mix well.
- Take your 8 inch spring form pan and grease the bottom and sides lightly with oil.
- Using roughly 2/3rds of the pizza dough and roll it out to about 1/4 inch thick and drape over the spring form pan. Press it lightly into the sides and bottom of the pan. Patch any holes or cracks that might have occurred.
- Sprinkle 1/4c of your cheese mixture on top of the dough in the bottom of the pan.
- Layer spinach mix evenly overtop the cheese.
- Place a layer of pepperoni on top of the spinach.
- Roll out the remaining 1/3 of your dough and make a lid. Place on top of the pepperoni. Fold the sides of the original crust down to seal the lid. Crimp edges like a pie to hold edges together.
- Top lid with cherry tomatoes. Then add most of your cheese and a layer of pepperoni. Sprinkle with a little more cheese for presentation.
- Place two layers of foil under and up the sides of the springform to catch any oil that may seep out and place on a cookie baking sheet.
- Bake at 350° for 30 minutes. Then turn up your oven to 375° and bake for 15 more minutes.
- Place it under the broiler for 1-2 minutes to get that top cheese extra bubbly.
- Remove from springform, allow to cool slightly, and serve.
- You can change up the fillings and toppings with whatever you like. The possibilities for this beautiful pizza are endless.
- Served along side a fresh green salad for a complete dinner.
This gluten-free spinach stuffed pepperoni pizza recipe was a crowd pleasing hit because it’s so delicious and it was surprisingly easy to make. Not to mention, if you’re inclined to post food pictures online, this will wow your friends, family, and followers. It’s a show stopper.
Do you have any different pizza recipes that you would like to share? Have you tried to make this stuffed pizza or another stuffed pizza? Let us know in the comments. We’d love to hear from you.
As always, please be kind to yourself and others.