Soups are a great way to enjoy a filling vegetarian meal. Most times creamy soups are often thought of as heavy and indulgent. However, today’s soup is satisfying, hearty, and yet surprisingly light. That’s how it earned its reputations as the best gluten-free cauliflower soup, ever.
This recipe for the best gluten-free cauliflower soup was adapted from Cooking Classy‘s Roasted Cauliflower White Cheddar Soup. I love finding a new recipe and not only changing it up to fit into my gluten-free diet, but changing the flavour profile to something my family and I would enjoy, more. This just illustrates that recipes are merely a jumping off point. So, get creative and don’t be afraid to change a recipe up to suit your palette and/or diet.
The Best Gluten-Free Cauliflower Soup Ever!
- 2 large heads of cauliflower chopped into small, bite size pieces
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/4 cup salted butter
- 4 medium yellow onions, diced.
- 1/ 2 cup Bob’s Red Mill gluten-free 1-to1 baking flour
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup 5% cream
- 6 cups 2% milk
- 1 3/4 cups gluten-free vegetarian chicken broth
- 1 Tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- 3/4 cups shredded sharp white cheddar cheese
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- Granulated onion and granulated garlic to taste
- 1/4 cup white or yellow cheddar for garnish.
- Chop cauliflower into bite size pieces, rinse, and drain.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Place cauliflower on baking sheet, on a layer of parchment paper, for easy clean-up, then drizzle with olive oil and toss to evenly coat. Then spread into an even layer and seasoning lightly with salt and pepper.
- Bake in preheated oven until golden, about 25 minutes. Turn cauliflower over halfway through. Once cooked remove from oven and set aside.
- In a large pot, melt butter over medium heat.
- Add in onion and sauté until tender, about 4 – 5 minutes.
- To the onions add in flour and cook, stirring constantly. If the flour is sticking to the bottom of the pot add in a tablespoon of butter or oil as needed. You may need to add in an extra 1 or 2 tablespoons depending on how long it takes to cook out the flour.
- Once the flour taste is cooked out, add in garlic- then cook for 30 seconds more.
- While whisking, slowly pour in milk, followed by chicken broth and cream.
- Add in parsley, roasted cauliflower, and then season soup with salt, pepper, granulated garlic, and granulated onion to taste.
Tip: Be sure to taste the soup. Remember to under salt as the cheese will add a saltiness. You can always add in additional seasoning after the cheese is added to the soup.
- Bring to a boil, stirring constantly, then reduce heat to low.
- Remove from heat and stir in sharp white cheddar cheese.
- Taste soup to ensure it is well seasoned.
- Serve warm garnished with additional shredded cheddar.
Tip: Allow soup to meld for at least 20 minutes. Or take off the heat, all together, until you want to heat it to serve.
I used yellow cheddar as my garnish for the contrast in colour. However, you can use white cheddar just as well. This soup reheats well, so leftovers aren’t a problem. Also, it’s hearty enough on its own, or it pairs really well with a grilled cheese sandwich.
Have you tried the best gluten-free roasted cauliflower white cheddar soup ever recipe? Do you have any other soup ideas for us? Let us know in the comments below.
Enjoy the soup. Everyone knows that soup is the comfort food that we can all use, year round!