Well, this is a post that I was not expecting to write, but am happily writing as it’s a positive note to start the new year on after a fairly bleak year. Older Slightly Wiser has been nominated for a Blogger Recognition Award, an award for bloggers by bloggers. We were nominated by Vinn En Route, a blog about life’s journeys and travels including all the secret escapes, stopovers, and experiences along the way. If you’re not already reading this blog, you need to! Thank you Vinn En Route for our nomination and for inviting your readers along for the ride. We are so grateful for the acknowledgement of our little blog that could 😊
What are the Rules of the Blogger Recognition Award?
The Blogger Recognition Award continues to travel around the world gaining momentum with bloggers aiming to recognize, lift, and promote the efforts of fellow bloggers everywhere. As with most awards, there are a few ground rules that all nominees must abide by:
- Display the logo of the blogger recognition award (check).
- Thank the blogger(s) who nominated you and provide a link to their blog (check).
- Write a post about your nomination (check).
- Explain how your blog started.
- Give two pieces of advice to new bloggers.
- Select other bloggers for the award and let them know by commenting (or pingback) on each of their blogs that you’ve nominated them and provide a link to the post you’ve created.
Why We Started The Older Sightly Wiser Blog
Having participated in the development and on-going writing of many corporate blogs, we decided it was time to take the plunge with our lifestyle blog, Older Slightly Wiser. It’s a whole new glorious world, but now it’s not business – it’s personal and we are free to write about anything. And we do.
We write about all kinds of things: things we love; things we don’t love; things we just think are cool. Or we write about our passions/interests from gluten-free cooking, to beauty and fashion, and pop culture. We might also ramble about what’s on our mind too. It depends on the moment. Regardless of what we write about, we vow to always keep it honest and true to who we are.
Being a little older and slightly wiser now, we’ve learned a few things. We have opinions and we’re not afraid to share them. We aim to build a community of people who relate to what we write about and who share their own experiences with us. Through this healthy exchange of thoughts, ideas and experiences, we hope to grow older and slightly wiser together.
Our Advice for new bloggers
Just to clarify, our advice assumes you like writing and have no difficulty expressing yourself in an engaging, conversational manner. It also assumes you have researched and decided on how to host your site and have selected a template or design outline for your site. Ok. Now that’s done, our advice is:
- Join blogging groups. You can find so many of them on Facebook especially. There are people who may have answers to your questions, will help share your content and will follow you on social media. They are a much better resource than you think. Remember, you only get out of it what you put into it. So, answer questions and be prepared to share and follow or follow back. This is one of your best resources along with your own inner circle. Tap into your existing followers and family/friends and ask that they read, share, comment, and give you feedback that will help make your site and content better. That’s what friends are for.
- Use Unsplash and Snapseed for your images. The images you select for your blog posts are just as important as the words you write. The image (and your blog post title) is what will draw readers to your blog in many cases so you need to make them as effective as possible. Unsplash has an incredible variety of royalty-free images you can download and you can search them by any keyword(s). Once downloaded, the Snapseed app can take them to the next level. Snapseed is free, super easy to use and gives your images a more professional look. Plus you can customize them so even though your image is coming from a shared source, you can make it your own. It also allows you to put text on your photos which helps your readers source your posts on your site via your link in bio from your Instagram profile.
Our Nominees for the Bloggers Recognition Award
Click the blog names below to explore and enjoy the sites of our wonderful nominee(s):
- Cooking in 262
- Ms. Celiac Says
- Road Maps and Restaurants
- Not Your Average Mom
- Eating Healthy Spending Less
- Grain Changer
- Wellness for Generations
- NMC Coaching
- Dr Tara’s Sunshine
- It Is Aditijain
- Family Centered Life
- Itchyfeet Adventures
- The Mama Bears
- Smelly Socks and Garden Peas
- Sugar Spice and Everything Life Blog
Thank you again to Vinn En Route for our Blogger Recognition Award nomination.
To our fellow bloggers reading this, we love being a part of the blogging community and appreciate the efforts that have gone into the development and success of all your blogs. What would be your 2 pieces of advice for a new blogger? Or what was the one thing (idea, strategy, tool, app, plug-in, etc) that was a game-changer for you? If there was more than one, share all responses in the comments.
Happy new year to all. May 2021 be the kinder, healing year we need to restore our mind, body and soul.